We all know that our nails can say a lot about us: how healthy we are, our sense of style and even our personality. So it’s really important to make sure your nails are strong, healthy and looking great. Here are some of the most common mistakes women make concerning their nails and how to avoid them.
- Filing back and forth: Filing your nails is a great way to keep them from getting too long and breaking or peeling, but if you file back and forth instead of in one direction, you could be doing more harm than good, as this weakens your nails.
- Buffing too hard: buffing your nails is another way to keep them looking great, but again if you buff back and forth and too aggressively, you can end up making your nails thin and weak.
- Cutting your cuticles: instead of cutting your cuticles, make sure they stay healthy by moisturizing them with lotion or a cuticle cream.
- Wearing polish for too long: like the rest of your body, your nails need to be exposed to air and be able breathe, so for at least one week a month, keep your nails polish free, and you’ll be helping them stay healthy.
- Old, chipped manicures: If most of your polish has chipped off, it’s either time to let your nails breathe or get a new manicure. Otherwise, you risk looking sloppy and unkempt.
- Too long, curving nails: while we love a longer nail, a good rule of thumb is that once your nails get in the way of your texting, it’s time to trim them.
- Public Grooming: while we realize that it’s important to take care of your nails, save it for the privacy of your own home or the salon, nobody wants to be stuck next to someone cutting, painting or filing their nails…
With these tips, it’s a breeze to keep your nails healthy and looking their best!